Wednesday, July 03, 2013

KateXpressions: Graphix Shrink Film

I haven't shared any of my projects with you in a while. Here is one that is fun and easy to work with!




I have been busily working on all sorts of projects and experimenting with different materials and tools. I think that there is always benefit to pulling back to look again at what you have done and to fine tune your thoughts and direction.

So you will see that I have been sorting through my own personal collection of metal stencils and listing some of them in my shop. I love stencils, they are so versatile and can give a piece of art work just the touch it needs.

If you have been looking at things in the shop, you have probably seen my Geranium Writing Paper.  I hand color each piece with Prismacolor Color Pencils. A very simple and fun gardening design...

I took that design and drew it onto some Graphix shrink film with my set of Sharpie permanent markers. You can see how it turned out in the picture above. The Graphix film is fun to work with but I'm still not sure if it will be something I pursue whole-heartedly. It is not as consistent as I would like. The film itself comes in white, matte, clear and black. The piece in the picture was done on matte.




These pieces were done on a clear film. You can see how the top one curled in quite a bit. You have to place a weight of some sort on top of the parchment paper that it is sandwiched between to keep it from curling and yet still "bake". The smaller one in the middle, distorted and I'm not 100% sure how to prevent this from happening, except through more experimenting.




I actually like this one the best. It is the very first one that I did and it didn't seem to have the distorting happening that the other pieces did. This design is on a matte piece. Also, I punched off two of the corners for more interest.



Here is another piece only on white. You can see how this one also curled, but the color was quite nice and it gave it a glossy appearance.  So this is one of the projects that I have been working on. I hope to show you some of the others as I go along.

I have many more items in my shop: KateXpressions  :D

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, as always! For some reason this makes me seriously suspect that I am really not very artsy, though I love to sketch and make things, but I feel I am all thumbs with some of the newer mediums. You, however, my friend are so gifted and seem to 'see' just what it is you need to do. I can't wait to see more!
    Grace and peace to you :)
    Thinking of you

    ReplyDelete

For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. John 3:17 This is great news!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...