Sunday, February 23, 2014

Mirror, Mirror...

We are currently making our way through the book of James at our church, so I thought I would share this post...
"But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man observing his natural face in a mirror, for he observes himself, goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was. But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does."
James 1:22-25

It was early in the morning. I got my customary mug of coffee and sat with my Bible and my notebook on the couch facing southward toward the windows looking out through a small standing wood. I like to have a few minutes to read and think about the scriptures and pray before I start my day.

This morning, however, I was having a hard time getting into the reading...honestly, I don't even remember what I had read that day. I was feeling quite distracted. I kept being drawn to look out at the dilapidated barn, barely standing on the property just beyond the woods.

So I got up and walked over to the window and as I looked I asked, "Lord, why do I keep feeling so distracted by the barn today?" As I looked at the barn more closely, there in the midst of the tangle of boards and beams, was a mirror...


One of the most amazing things about this mirror is that whoever had placed it in the upper floor of the barn, I'm sure never would have imagined how the Lord would use it's placement to speak to me that day.

You see, it faces eastward. So this particular morning the mirror was reflecting the rising sun. As I thought about this, I realized the significance of the picture before me. This unbroken, antique mirror was reflecting the beauty and light of the morning sun. It may seem strange, but it made me think about my aging father. In recent years, his mental faculties have been diminishing and like this old barn his body is failing under the ravages of Parkinson's disease. But deep on the inside there is the "mirror" of his soul, facing eastward waiting for the rising Son. He is looking for Christ's return.

The one thing that hasn't changed, hasn't weakened, however, is his prayer life and worship. With the Parkinson's, his once vibrant story-telling, has become quiet. Once in a while he attempts to share a long-ago event, but mostly he sits looking forlorn and sometimes, glassy-eyed.

We were having a meal together and my husband was engaged in a project that would detain him at the start. So I asked my Dad to pray for us and what a wonderful oratory was heard. "Father, we worship you and give you all the praise, and all the honor and all the glory and all the worship...."

Recently, I saw this quote by Mark Driscoll:
"We are made in God's image and likeness, and we're made to mirror him."
Here is another quote from Corrie ten Boom:
 "We are moons, not suns. The moon only reflects the light of the sun. We need only to reflect His light, then we live to His glory.” 
May we prepare ourselves for those days ahead, when our earthly bodies are fading. Let us remember to gaze upon the perfect law of liberty and continue in it...
"Blessed is the man whose strength is in You, whose heart is set on pilgrimage. As they pass through the Valley of Baca (weeping), they make it a spring. The rain also covers it with pools (blessings). They go from strength to strength. Each one appears before God in Zion."
Psalm 84:5-7

I was extremely blessed by my family this past Christmas. There beside the Christmas tree was a long box with Lego pictures covering it. My thought was, "someone is going to be blessed with that!" It of course was the last of the presents to be opened and to my surprise, it was for me!!


I had no clue as to what I was going to find in this makeshift wrapping of two Lego boxes...but here it is...the mirror!!!


The frame of the mirror was rotted and not worth keeping but the mirror itself was in such great shape! I again saw the same picture, our "frame" (our bodies) are aging and yet, we can still reflect the beauty and glory of the Lord.

This post is a repost. I actually posted the original post just about a year ago!

8 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your thots here Karen! and interestingly, this was our SERMON last week and a little more about it (being active in our faith) this weekend!! AND it's one of the lessons in the study book I'm having my small group work thru. it was the 2nd lesson from this next unit!! we 'llbe discussing it Wed evening. I love God's timing as I think He wanted me to hear some of these reminders.....commands, really. and i will pray for your dad. I didn't realize he had Parkinson's. :( it is difficult to see our parents age. at least for me. I'm so thankful both of our parents' know the Lord!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Faith! I love the way the Lord speaks the same message over and over again to us, in different ways, through different people. He is so awesome! Dad hasn't had an official diagnosis as of yet, but that is what we are suspecting. Thanks so much for praying for him.

    It is hard to watch our parents age, but at the same time, I'm very much aware that the Lord is using this season for my sanctifying...He doesn't waste anything. Everything is to further His glory! :D
    Thanks for sharing, Faith!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Karen, I was just visiting your blog - I saw you had visited mine - and was touched by the first post I saw. My aging father lives with us and I could relate to so much of what you said. With the flu season we didn't want him out and about where he could catch something due to his fragile health and so, even though we have missed it mightily, we have been staying home from church and having home church. My father was a pastor for many years and he has just come alive with the opportunity to prepare lessons and teach us each week. And it's been a real blessing to us to sit under his instruction. While so much is not his to enjoy or participate in anymore, he continues to praise God each day and maintains an active prayer life.

    I look forward to reading more of your blog.

    Blessings, Kristine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Kristine! Welcome! Even though this is a difficult season, isn't it so precious to see and experience as well? "..green in old age.." It makes me want to do the same. Do you have opportunity to invite his friends or those that are special to him, to visit? I would imagine that that would be such an encouragement to have sweet fellowship. Thanks so much for stopping by!
    I am enjoying all the gardening and chickens that you have! Someday, I hope to have chickens. :D
    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful and inspiring quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Karen!! I am wiping tears, dear friend. How beautiful -- and the scripture and quotes are perfect...'moons, not suns' Wow! May you be blessed today.
    What did you do with the mirror then?
    God bless and keep you and make His face to SHINE upon you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing in my joy and sadness, my friend. The Lord knows how to speak comfort to our souls. He is so awesome! :)
      I haven't done anything with the mirror yet. I know that it needs to have the "right" spot to hang. I'm actually hoping that my son will build me a frame for it. That would make it all the more special. :)
      God bless and keep you too, dear friend! Continue to "Shine" His light! <3

      Delete

For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. John 3:17 This is great news!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...