Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Gardening: "Lungwort"

 Pulmonaria

Lungwort, a perennial, blooms in early spring with brilliant blue, pink, or white flowers. The variety that I have has a combination of blue and pink flowers. Depending on the variety, the rough basal leaves can be spotted or plain.

Once the flowers are spent, the leaves continue to stand in a roundish mound through the Summer, Fall and into the Winter.

Lungwort makes a very nice addition to a border or edging. It is easy to grow, deer resistant, drought tolerant and has a rather exotic looking leaf making it quite attractive.

Lungwort grows well in Zones 2-8 from what I have read. It grows to the height of 6-12 inches depending on the variety and can be planted in Sun, Partial Sun or Shade. A nice hardy plant to consider for landscaping.

"Flowers of blue and pink,
Happy little flowers, I think..."

A bonus bit of information...
The flowers can be pressed to use on cards, pictures or bookmarks like I have done here!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Karen!
    I never knew lung wort could be pressed! I saw some in the nursery this past spring but passed it by. I may just give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elizabeth!
    I actually tried pressing them as an experiment and was quite pleased at how they retained their color. My only suggestion is don't pick all of your blossoms so they propagate. I mistakenly picked from a couple of plants not thinking about this and they didn't come back this year. I'm thinking that having a small bed of them and picking from a different group of plants each time would help even this problem out. You can see better pictures of what I pressed on the shop.
    I hope you are enjoying your Summer!
    Blessings, Karen

    ReplyDelete

For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. John 3:17 This is great news!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...